Jane Moser

23 Years and 565,000 Miles

For 28 years, Jane Moser, currently the program resource specialist for PhD candidates in the business analytics and statistics department in the Haslam College of Business, has commuted an hour each way from her hometown of Sweetwater, Tennessee—a total of 105 miles a day.

For the past 23 years, Moser has made her drive in a 1997 red Ford Thunderbird, a wonder car with an odometer that recently rolled over to 565,000 miles. “In that time, we’ve spent less than $3,000 on actual repairs,” says Moser, who will retire from UT on February 28. “We are brand loyal to Thunderbirds because they work. We have had three T-Birds, and I have put most of the miles on all three of them.”

Her husband, Linton, a retired millwright at Bowater Paper, changes the oil and belts, enabling Jane to—as the Beach Boys put it—walk, look, and drive like an ace, and (to some extent) make the Indy 500 look like a Roman chariot race. When she’s not listening to the radio, Moser used to play books on the car’s cassette player, but lately she is finding books on cassettes harder to come by.

Moser has always liked to be on the go. Along with cruisin’ just as fast as she can in her T-Bird, she has run marathons, competed in triathlons, played on an adult soccer team, and skydived. “Only one granddaughter would ever skydive with me, but she loves it,” says Moser.

Moser’s oldest daughter, Cristi Moser (’87, ’94), is a veterinarian and owner of the Bluegrass Animal Hospital here in Knoxville. Her middle daughter, Shannon Rudd (’88), is an account executive at SupplyLogic in Atlanta, and her youngest, Tammy Rushing McAvoy, who lives in Tellico, studied art at UT and worked as an interior designer for many years before starting a family.