More than 100 Middle Tennessee young alumni were the beneficiaries of financial guru Dave Ramsey’s wit and wisdom Nov. 20.
Ramsey offered the Nashville audience advice, answered questions, and shared memorable anecdotes from his career. Afterward, he was presented with one of UT’s “Accomplished Alumni” awards.
Ramsey is a UT grad who makes a living teaching others how to manage their finances, get out of debt, save their earnings, and give back to their communities. He offers life-changing financial advice as host of a nationally syndicated daily radio program. The Dave Ramsey Show is heard on more than 350 radio stations throughout the U.S. by over 3.5 million listeners each week.
Below are some of the highlights from Ramsey’s presentation to Nashville area young alums last month:
DAVE’S FIVE POINTS
1. Act Your Wage
- Live on less than you make.
2. Save Money
- Emergency Fund – 3-6 months
- Pay Cash
- Invest Money
3. Get out of debt, stay out of debt
4. Be on a budget
- Have a plan!
- Adults devise a plan and follow it.
- Ride the roller coaster (stock market).
- Take control of your finances.
- Be intentional.
- In 100% of 10-year periods, markets make money – recovers within 2 years following the bottom.
- Tell your money what to do or you’ll always be wondering where it went.
- Cash – 12-18% less spent than if you were paying with credit.
- “If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time.” ~ Zig Ziglar