SmokeyXI stands next to a UT orange hat

11 Facts About Smokey XI

With the forthcoming retirement of Smokey X, Vols everywhere are about to gain a new best friend in Smokey XI. Here are 11 things you need to know about the new pup soon to take over the biggest job on Rocky Top.

Number 1

BIRTHDAY
August 8, 2021

Number 2

GOOD OL’ DAD
Smokey XI will be following in the paw prints of his dad, Smokey X, who began his official UT duties in 2013.

SmokeyXI stands looking up
Orange number three

DON’T FORGET MOM
Smokey’s mom has the perfect name—Tennessee Sweet T.

Orange number four

BIRTHPLACE
Just like his dad, Smokey XI was born at Davis Branch Blueticks in Shelbyville, Tennessee.

Orange number five

HOME SWEET HOME
Smokey XI lives with his dad and the Hudson family—Cindy, Sam, and Katherine—in Knoxville.

SmokeyXI sits looking to the left
Orange number six

BLUETICK SIBLINGS
Smokey XI was born into a litter of seven pups. Three of his siblings found homes with former Smokey handlers from agricultural fraternity Alpha Gamma Rho.

Orange number seven

THE BERNIE & ERNIE SHOW
What’s better than one puppy? You guessed it—two. Smokey XI, whose nickname at the Hudson house is Bernie, is besties with his brother Ernest. Their names harken back to Bernie and Ernie, the famous 1970s Vol basketball duo Bernard King and Ernest Grunfeld.

SmokeyXI stands looking right
SmokeyXI sits looking up
Orange number eight

JOB QUALIFICATION
The pup’s long ears helped him win the job of Smokey and the hearts of Vol fans everywhere when he debuted in a video from UT Athletics on Valentine’s Day. Watch the video at tiny.utk.edu/SmokeyXI.

Orange number nine

CUTE QUIRK
According to Cindy Hudson, Smokey XI likes to chew on his right ear.

Orange number ten

SMOKEY IN TWO WORDS
Clumsy and super-loving

Orange number eleven

LIVING HIS BEST LIFE

Smokey spends his days in training at puppy school and lounging in the sunshine. And every evening he loves to snuggle and fall asleep in the recliner.

Smokey X, who turned 10 in February, will continue his duties this fall while his son is still in training. But Vols can expect to see Smokey XI, long ears and all, running through the T very soon.

Help support a Tennessee tradition. Donate to the Hudson Family Smokey Endowment to support our favorite hound!