Shelve under ‘relaxation’

Massage therapists and therapy dogs were on hand at the Hodges Library to help students work through the stress of final exams this semester.

Much of the stress, sweat, and angst of finals week takes place in the library. So the UT Libraries brought some stress-relieving therapy directly to the students. Free chair massages, visits from H.A.B.I.T. (Human Animal Bond in Tennessee) therapy dogs, an ice cream social, and a room stocked with sketch pads, games, and comics all helped revitalize stressed-out students.

Students didn’t mind lining up for a little TLC. They waited on benches for a turn in the massage chair and stood in a long queue for a few minutes with a therapy dog.

“I thought it was great,” said law student Will Gibbons. “It’s important that students don’t feel boxed in during finals. Staying relaxed helps in studying.”

“I’m going to get my picture snuggling every dog they bring in here,” said Mikey Mitchell, a freshman in microbiology, in a comment on Facebook. He was pictured on the library’s Facebook page hugging Hank Jr., a Great Pyrenees, on the first day of H.A.B.I.T dog visits.

University Libraries’ “De-Stress for Success” events were co-sponsored by the Office of Alumni Affairs, the Graduate Student Senate, the UT Parents Association, the School of Information Sciences, UT’s Student Assessment of Instruction System, and Human Animal Bond in Tennessee.