Volunteer spirits? Share your UT ghost stories!

haunted campus!

I was cleaning my fraternity house with all the windows open by myself one summer day when I detected this strange noise. It sounded like a horse running on asphalt. I looked out the window and saw an elderly lady walking down the street. Suddenly, this black bull with 24-inch horns on each side of his head comes charging up behind her and runs over the top of her. I make my way outside, the bull hears me, stops and drops its head and charges me. I am darting out from between cars parked on the street—which there weren’t too many of since it was the summer— the only time I ever wished there were more cars on the UT campus. The bull gets tired of our game and sprints off. I look around and there is no woman, no blood, nobody. Remember, this is two blocks from the Presidential Complex, not exactly in the “boonies.” I called the packing house across the river and was told no bovine had escaped. I never saw anything in the Knoxville paper about this. It still bothers me to recall it.

—Dr. Bill DeWees (’78, ’80)

One comment on “Volunteer spirits? Share your UT ghost stories!

1. Nice share, when i was younger i was brought up in a haunted house and many paranormal things used to happen. Footsteps late at night, keys moved from one place in the house to another. A feeling of someone trying to suffocate me, but no one was there. Strange sounds at night. I later found that everyone had experiences there, not just me. I still think about that house. The first time i saw a ghost was when i was about 11 i woke up and a old lady spirit was looking over my stuff. I felt no fear so just rolled over and went back to sleep.