JAG hopeful Jacob Wilson receives Young Alumni Council Scholarship

Jacob Wilson (’08), a third-year law student at UT Knoxville, is the recipient of the second annual Young Alumni Council Scholarship.

“Of the many applications we received, Jacob’s stood out for his commitment to service to the university as well as his outstanding professional goals,” said Steve Evans, president-elect of the Young Alumni Council and former chair of the Council’s Philanthropy Committee.

Recipients of the scholarship must have graduated less than 10 years ago, be enrolled in graduate school at UT, and possess a GPA of at least 3.0. Wilson completed his undergraduate career at UT in 2008 with a degree in international politics and economics and is on target to complete his law degree next year.

“Upon graduation from law school, I will serve my country as a Navy JAG officer,” Wilson said. “This job will demand leadership and commitment to what you are doing, and I am thankful that UT has prepared me for a demanding position such as this.”

Wilson will receive a $500 scholarship toward completing his graduate education. The Young Alumni Council awards the scholarship each June to a deserving individual.

“I am thankful to have been selected for the scholarship, and I now have another reason to strive to do my best so I can add to the stellar reputation of my alma mater,” Wilson said.

While in law school, Wilson has participated in charitable organizations, such as Legal Aid of East Tennessee, which provides legal assistance to those who cannot afford it.

“I want to use my legal degree to make a positive impact in my community and beyond,” Wilson said. “When I finish serving as a JAG officer, I hope to come back to Knoxville to work with an organization like Legal Aid again.”

For more information on the Young Alumni Council, including its upcoming fall weekend, visit alumni.utk.edu.